Friday, January 17, 2014

Day 1 – Less Flapping, more flying!

Business:

There was no business events scheduled today. Our only job was to make it on the plane. Mission Success! 

Leisure:

Less flapping, more flying J.J! We had class today and I swear I couldn’t focus on anything, but the fact that I am leaving for Sweden today! I don’t know if it was the excitement or the fact that I actually had work to do last night, but I was unable to fall asleep. Sadly, I was late to class because I had lost track of time. Luckily, my morning was brightened as I opened my SnapChat on my way to class to see this GEM!

Normally, I would believe posting about something as small as this would be irrelevant, BUT, you don’t know my mom! She has taught me well, but for the last 22 years of my life I have always loved doing things in due time and completing them when the need to be done, not in advance. Basically, I had a tendency to push things off to the last minute. However, I was all packed, cleaned, and ready the night before. That’s right momma, Imma growing into my big boy shorts.

After a short bus ride to the airport, we ate dinner at the airport. I don’t know why I thought this was a good idea, but my wallet was crying after I bought a sandwich for 15 dollars. I was trying to chew it slowly to see if there were any diamonds hidden within the crust. As we were waiting for the plane I ran into a girl who goes to Northwestern.

She was studying in Copenhagen, Denmark for complete her senior thesis and she was getting paid to do it. She is fortunate to have been given such an opportunity and I am lucky to have run into her. After some small talk, she had persuaded me that living in Evanston, Illinois is a bad idea. Phew! Might have dodged a bullet on that one, so I guess that means the apartment hunt will have to continue when I get back.  

After we boarded the plane, it was game over. ZZZZZZzzzzzzz. Only thing to wake me up was the smell of dinner and breakfast. I swear, I would only open my eyes when the cart was one row in front of me. I have a theory that you shouldn't eat airplane food because I think they pack anti-laxatives in them to make it so you can’t use the restroom for the remainder of the flight. HOWEVER, I was hungry and ate them anyways. Guess I won’t be letting the prairie dog out of his cage in Sweden.

Once we arrived in Copenhagen, Denmark, we had to board a connecting flight to Sweden. While we waiting for the delayed plane to land, my group of friends and I d
ecided to travel around the airport. Actually I should rephrase that, we decided to window shop around the mall! This airport had express, Kenneth Cole, Victoria Secrets, Home Appliances, Duty Free, Hermes, and much much more for much much more money than I was willing to spend. This airport was trying so hard to split me from my money that their vending m
achines accepted credit cards…Dodged that candy trap though and fell right into another. In a store, I saw this really interesting candy.

They were selling Jack Daniel’s fudge. There is no way I was going to pass this opportunity up. A bought a tin and shared it with the whole group. It had a strong whisky flavor with a mint of caramel and fudge. I thought it tasted great, but it was not something spectacular that I would have gone back and bought another one on the way home. However, I would say it was worth trying.

The final flight to our destination was about as long as a person’s attention span with a serious ADHD condition. It was as if we took off, then the pilot saw a squirrel, and immediately needed to bring the plane down to catch him. At least there were two cool things that happened on this flight.

                                     1. WALLE washed our wings to make sure we didn’t freeze up in the air
                                     2. The Sky



















Once we landed at the airport, we all were waiting for Professor Shields to find us our ride to the Youth Hostel. In the down time, we all began to exchange our US Dollars for the Swedish Krona. After Professor Shields hailed us two cabs and a small bus to transport us, our journey in Sweden began. Well everybody else’s journey did… I immediately fell asleep in the van and I guess the driver was Dale Earnhardt Junior with the speed he was driving and the amount of times he changed lanes to pass people. BUUTTTT, I wouldn't know because I was face first in dreamland.

Once we were given our rooms and I immediately hopped into the shower. I don’t think water has ever felt so good in my life. I must have taken a 30 minute shower; in which, 25 minutes was standing there enjoying the steam, while the other 5 minutes was actually cleaning up.

<------------------(This is my roommate by the way. His name is Connor. He likes comic books and making people laugh. I think we will be good friends.)


After we got situated with our rooms and our roommates, we headed out to dinner. We walked down the street to a delicious pizza place called Da Vinci. Like most places in Europe, it was a smaller destination, which means we had to split up among a few tables. To add to the dilemma, I was not informed that I would have to learn Swedish to eat… I was told they spoke English here and that it was their second language, so everything would be in English. WRONG! The whole menu was in Swedish.

The crisis was averted thanks to my style of eating. I merely asked the waitress who could translate between English and Swedish very well to order me her favorite dish. Thus, she ordered me the Capri Pizza and gave me a pizza salad on the side. They sure were yummy! After we ate, we decided to go check out Goteborg, Sweden.


If you didn't know already, Sweden is very expensive. A beer is Sweden costs around 8 – 10 USD for a normal beer and hard alcohol is even more expensive. In addition, they have a 25% value added tax. I picked this all up while I was out and I realized that the more alcohol content per beverage, the higher the added tax. For instance, one of my friends ordered a small drink with Baileys…AND IT COST HIM $15!!! For one small drink… After we enjoyed a beer or two, we all decided to head back well before curfew because we were tired and wanted to be well rested for the exciting days to come!

Daily Reflection:

  1. Airplane food is a great way to never use the bathroom again
  2. Sleeping is awesome
  3. If you are in another country, you should learn a base level of their language
  4. Everybody is Sweden is attractive
  5. Most people speak English in Sweden
  6. A Beer costs a mini fortune in Sweden
  7. Aside from Swedish Meatballs, Herring, and Cod, most foods are from other European influence
  8. Everybody that is walking around must have just stepped out of a GQ magazine
  9. United States taxes aren't that bad compared to here
  10. Jack Daniel's fudge is good, but not amazing

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More